Join the Humanist Think Tank
What is it?
A network of academics and professionals interested in promoting Humanism and supporting the work of the BHA and drawn by invitation from the fields of philosophy, history, sociology, law, politics, public policy, anthropology, literature or any other relevant discipline.
What are its aims?
- To make an explicitly humanist contribution to public debate, working both individually and collectively.
- To develop the humanist alternative to religious belief.
- To examine problems in philosophy, politics, morals, social policy etc and develop explicitly humanist approaches.
- To generate resources to support others in considering these matters.
- To provide input to BHA policy development.
- To generate original content for BHA website.
- To explore, advise, and shape the work of the BHA by extending humanist thought and understanding.
- To be a high profile body within the BHA, bringing together the best known and most accomplished academics and specialists to work on relevant matters.
How will it do this?
- Maintain a collective dialogue, largely by electronic means.
- Convene study groups to produce reports and statements.
- Produce occasional rapid but grounded statements in reaction to current events and to statements by others calling for a humanist response.
- Organise public lectures, conferences and workshops.
- Publish pamphlets, press releases, articles in serious newspapers and journals, letters to the press.
- Respond to consultations and other initiatives by government departments as suggested by the BHA.
Who will lead it?
The group will have a convenor for a three year term to stimulate and organise initiatives, on behalf of the BHA.
How will the BHA manage it?
- The Head of Education and Promotion will manage a volunteer who will work with the convenor
- The Public Affairs team and Chief Executive will identify policy issues that the network can be active, and commit to convening seminars up to twice a year on different topics to lead to practical outputs
Want to submit a nomination?
Please fill in the form here.