For over 30 years LGBT Humanists has promoted humanism as a rational, naturalistic worldview that trusts the scientific method as the most reliable route to truth and encourages a moral and ethical life based on logic, reason and compassion. We campaign for equality and diversity, particularly relating to sexual orientation and identity – both in the UK and internationally. We’re a volunteer-led section of Humanists UK and entirely funded by supporter donations.
We were first founded in 1979 in response to the Gay News blasphemy trial, and we’ve blazed a trail arguing for LGBT liberation by challenging religious homophobia and standing up to religious opposition to LGBT rights. From equalising the age of consent, and campaigning for same-sex marriage and more recent campaigns to ban the horrific practice of ‘conversion therapy’, our members have always been on the right side of history.
We also organise community-based events around the UK for LGBT humanists and friends to meet, get to know each other, and share ideas. We are proud to take part in Pride events and marches across the UK each year, and to vocally celebrate International Day against Homophobia, Biphobia, and Transphobia – which we helped to bring to the UK in 2005.
What we do
LGBT Humanists promotes humanism and LGBT equality, working to combat prejudice and discrimination against humanists and lesbians and gay men. In furtherance of these aims it:
- Holds regular open, public meetings in London with speakers and discussions
- Maintains a website, promoting their work worldwide and linking to other relevant online resources and organisations.
- Carries out other occasional media work including radio, press and TV to promote its aims.
- Makes submissions to government committees and responds to government consultative documents concerning LGBT rights.
- Supports demonstrations and other groups that advance these aims.
- Provides stalls and information at Public Events for lesbian/gay and Humanists.
- Publicises the work of a public figures involved in LGBT and/or Humanism rights through Residential Weekend Conferences and an Annual Lunch (both events are open to the public – though the weekend incorporates the AGM where only members are entitled to vote.).
Humanists have always supported LGBT rights and Humanists UK’s ceremonies have always been fully LGBT-inclusive. Humanists were performing non-legal weddings for same-sex couples for decades prior to the law changing in Britain.
If you’re looking to get married, Humanist Ceremonies is fully LGBT-inclusive and always has been: humanist celebrants were performing same-sex wedding ceremonies even before they were legally recognised in Britain.
We also offer people who have transitioned the option of having a humanist naming ceremony to announce their new name to the world and mark this moment in their personal journey with supportive friends and family.
Please click here to join LGBT Humanists via the Humanists UK website.
Existing members of Humanists UK can join LGBT Humanists by logging in to your account, going to ‘My Dashboard’, then clicking on ‘Join’ in the ‘Sections’ area.
Joining LGBT Humanists is your way to be part of this important work. Membership is open to all who support these aims.
Meet Up: http://www.meetup.com/galhagroup/
Volunteers are always needed, particularly on the committee. Volunteers can also:
- Help us run and put on events around the country
- Serve as the LGBT rep with your local humanist group
- Organise or just help on our Pride stalls and marches around the UK (these tend to run June – August each year).
- Write a letter to your MP about Humanists UK campaigns with an LGBT dimension
- Write to your local newsletter: this helps raise awareness of where religious privilege leads to LGBT discrimination (e.g. in faith schools)
- Blog about our issues and send links
Get in touch if there’s one of those you’re interested in. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join or affiliate your university or local humanist group with LGBT Humanists.