Gala Fundraising Dinner 2014
As hosts of the World Humanist Congress, we see it as vital to ensure we provide an exceptional experience for delegates attending from all over the world, including those who cannot fund themselves and will be receiving grants to cover the costs of their attendance. Young people from the UK and delegates from developing countries inhospitable to free thought – like Pakistan, Uganda, Nigeria, Nepal, Russia, or the Philippines – are vital to the future of our cause. We need funding to help make sure the Congress meets their needs.
We are delighted that historian and TV presenter Dan Snow (BBC1 The One Show's 'History Hunter') will join Jim Al-Khalili (BHA President, theoretical physicist, author and broadcaster) as a host for the evening, and we will be joined by special guest auctioneer Quentin Cooper (BBC Radio 4's Material World), cartoonist Martin Rowson (The Guardian, The Independent), journalists Polly Toynbee and Zoe Williams (The Guardian), scientist and broadcaster Adam Rutherford (BBC4's The Gene Code), and shadow Leader of the House of Commons Angela Eagle MP have each kindly agreed to be among our table hosts. Andrew Copson, our Chief Executive, and the senior BHA staff, will also join us.
We will have a range of items to auction and raffle on the evening, including:
- Your portrait by Martin Rowson
- Lunch and tour of the Imperial War Museum with Dan Snow
- Lunch and The Guardian newsroom tour with Polly Toynbee
- Afternoon tea with philosopher and BHA Vice President AC Grayling (author of The God Argument) at the New College of the Humanities
- A first edition of his first novel The Cement Garden, donated by novelist Ian McEwan
- An afternoon with Jim Al-Khalili
- Original screen-print of the film of his beat poem Storm, signed by comedian and musician Tim Minchin (BBC2's Never Mind the Buzzcocks)
- Exclusive behind-the-scenes tour of London Zoo for six people with Martin Rowson
- A two-day summertime hillwalk for two people with comedian Ed Byrne (BBC2's Mock the Week), along a route of your choosing and on mutually convenient dates
- A tour of the Channel 4 newsroom for four people with presenter Cathy Newman
The ticket price is £90 per person for a three-course dinner with wine and there will also be a private bar available. You are welcome to make up your own table of 10, but otherwise we will organise a seating plan to include you.
London, EC3R 7PP