Success! Thank you to everyone who signed our petition to the Prime Minister and the First Ministers of Wales and Scotland: you helped us secure funding for abortion care in Britain for Northern Ireland women.
- 31 October: Humanists UK and coalition of women’s rights group take part in Supreme Court case on abortion ‘charging’ in England
- 17 November: Inspired by this hearing, First Minister of Scotland Nicola Sturgeon pledges to explore waiving abortion fees in Scotland
- 14 June: Supreme Court rules that Health Ministers have the power to waive fee for Northern Ireland women
- 14 June: Humanists UK launches petition to Prime Minister and First Ministers of Scotland and Wales, urging them to waive abortion fees for Northern Ireland women
- 22 June: Nicola Sturgeon re-commits Scottish Government to covering Northern Irish women’s abortion care costs in Scotland
- 23 June: Pro-choice MPs begin work on an amendment to the Queen’s Speech to cover abortion fees for Northern Ireland women in England
- 29 June: Anticipating defeat over the above amendment, the UK Government pledges funding for Northern Ireland women’s abortions in England
- 4 Juy: First Minister of Wales Carwyn Jones announces Wales will join Scotland and England in funding Northern Ireland women’s abortions
Thank you to everyone who supported this petition and helped drive change in three different legislative bodies of the UK.
By working together like this, we aim to create a tolerant society where rational thinking and kindness prevail. However, our work’s not over. Northern Ireland women are still denied their right to a legal abortion at home, and our work across various secularist and public ethical issues has renewed urgency in 2017. If you can, please join Humanists UK today to continue supporting lasting change for a better society.
Humanists UK: Think for yourself, act for everyone.