We work on behalf of non-religious people who seek to live ethical lives on the basis of reason and humanity. We promote Humanism, a secular state, and equal treatment of everyone regardless of religion or belief.
Find meaning, beauty and joy in the one life we have, without the need for an afterlife.
Look to science instead of religion as the best way to discover and understand the world.
Believe people can use empathy and compassion to make the world a better place for everyone.
Are you a humanist? Take our quick quiz to find out.
News from the BHA
Government approves 25 new religious Free Schools
22 May 2013
The Department for Education (DfE) has today announced the approval of 102 new Free Schools due to open from September 2014. This includes 25 new [...]
Humanists take part in International Day of UN Peacekeepers Remembrance Ceremony
22 May 2013
Prominent humanists have taken a significant role in the International Day of UN Peacekeepers Remembrance Ceremony, which commemorates UN peacekeepers who have been killed in [...]
Legal recognition of humanist marriages blocked in Commons
21 May 2013
A proposal in the House of Commons to give legal recognition to humanist marriages in England and Wales has been halted through the last minute [...]
- Government approves 25 new religious Free Schools
Get a free copy of our Humanism: A Short Course by paying with a Tweet or a Facebook share.
Latest blog posts
- Should atheism be included in Religious Education? May 20, 2013Alom Shaha writes: I’ve been delighted to find that The Young Atheist’s Handbook is being used in schools by teachers like Laura Cooper who wrote to tell me: “I […]
- Assertive Religion May 14, 2013By Emanuel de Kadt As a survivor of the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands, and having been raised in a liberal Jewish family, I held on to my rather wobbly rel […]
- Integrated education in Northern Ireland April 29, 2013Sectarianism in Northern Irish education continues to exist, with more than 92% of children attending either Protestant or Catholic schools. But there are curr […]
- Should atheism be included in Religious Education? May 20, 2013
At university? The AHS have resources and funds for your atheist / humanist / secularist group. Or start your own!
The Pod Delusion
The Pod Delusion is the partner podcast of the BHA, and is an award-winning weekly news magazine radio programme and podcast about interesting things. Download the latest episode here.