We work on behalf of non-religious people who seek to live ethical lives on the basis of reason and humanity. We promote Humanism, a secular state, and equal treatment of everyone regardless of religion or belief.
Find meaning, beauty and joy in the one life we have, without the need for an afterlife.
Look to science instead of religion as the best way to discover and understand the world.
Believe people can use empathy and compassion to make the world a better place for everyone.
Are you a humanist? Take our quick quiz to find out.
News from the BHA
BHA expresses alarm at reported ‘jihadist plot to take over Birmingham schools’
7 Mar 2014
The British Humanist Association (BHA) has expressed alarm at reports of a campaign by Islamic fundamentalists in Birmingham to take control of a number of […]
Humanist peers argue strongly for a change in the law on the prosecution of assisted suicide
6 Mar 2014
A number of peers belonging to the All Party Parliamentary Humanist Group(APPHG) argued strongly for a change in the law on the prosecution of assisted […]
Government tells Muslim state schools to stop discriminating against staff on the basis of gender
6 Mar 2014
Following concerns raised by the British Humanist Association (BHA), the Department for Education has confirmed that discriminating against potential staff on the basis of gender […]
- BHA expresses alarm at reported ‘jihadist plot to take over Birmingham schools’
Get a free copy of our Humanism: A Short Course by paying with a Tweet or a Facebook share.
Latest blog posts
- Humanism and the hereafter February 28, 2014It seems that primitive man, everywhere and in every culture, had an instinctive belief in some sort of existence after death. For the primitive psyche perhaps […]
- Great essays in the humanist tradition: ‘Evangelical Teaching: Dr Cumming’ by George Eliot February 27, 2014In the first of a series, HumanistLife brings you a great essay from the public domain. Born Mary Ann Evans, George Eliot was a remarkable person. Not only did […]
- Assisted Dying: Who Makes the Final Decision? February 12, 2014by Lesley Close Eleven years ago this month I was helping my brother, John Close, to prepare for his death. He was 55 and coming to the end of his life because […]
- Humanism and the hereafter February 28, 2014
At university? The AHS have resources and funds for your atheist / humanist / secularist group. Or start your own!
The Pod Delusion
The Pod Delusion is the partner podcast of the BHA, and is an award-winning weekly news magazine radio programme and podcast about interesting things. Download the latest episode here.